Diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) has served to improve toxic diesel NOx emissions, down to 15 ppm (parts per million) from over 500 ppm. Expect revisions to the 2010 EPA regulations in the next few years. DEF will play a substantial role in controlling diesels nitrous oxide and other particulate matter.
DEF can not be allowed to infect diesel fluids including fuel, oil, and coolants. ON the other side of the coin, DEF cannot be tainted without severe damage to the selective catalytic reduction (SCR) system.
DEF Transfer pumps must be dedicated. While shopping, consideration needs to be addressed for DEFs corrosive properties. Based on need and storage solution, there is a DEF pump for your company. Check out this ultimate guide to choosing the best DEF pump.
|Lumax LX-1324||[usr=4]||Click to see prices on Amazon.com|
|AB-122 by Fuelwork||[usr=5]||Click to see prices on Amazon.com|
|Titan 902-031-0||[usr=5]||Click to see prices on Amazon.com|
Best DEF Hand Pump Reviews
DEF hand pumps such as rotary and lever action are great for extracting DEF from 400 lb. barrels. Easy to re-insert in another barrel and simple to clean. Hand pumps are economical and easy to customize. Perfect for limited diesel services.
Luxmax, founded in 1981, is an international OEM company dedicated to automotive systems and components. DEF hand-pump LX-1324 is corrosion resistant, ideal for individual operators or small diesel shops. Stainless steel and poly phenylene sulfate construction which is excellent for transferring DEF. The LX-1324 delivers 1 gallon for every 14 revolutions and is self-priming. The Luxmax pump comes with a 40-inch stainless steel suction tube.
- Easy to use and fits a variety of drum sizes and capacities.
- Inexpensive pump from a name brand company
- Every part of this pump is corrosion resistant
- Great company/limited reviews
- Operators need to buy hoses, fittings, connections.
DEF Distribution channels are working every angle to improve transfer and storage methods. Nearly every new passenger vehicle, light and heavy-duty trucks manufactured incorporates some set of SCR/DEF technology.
Best DEF Electric Pump Reviews
Electric DEF pumps have a myriad of advantages for larger fleet service departments, long-range operators and high volume diesel shops. Once set-up, electric pumps can have batteries or outlets as a power source. Initial costs may be more expensive. However, time and effort invested will be a determining influence.
Fuelworks, a segment of Intradin, is an International Chinese concern operating in over 70 countries. AB-122 is a complete solution for transferring DEF. This transfer pump is applicable solely for DEF and low alkaline products. The kit arrives with everything, consisting of an electric motor, mounts, fittings, nozzle, hoses, and Flow Meter. The AB-122 can be configured for barrel, tote, and other DEF storage. AB-122 has a transfer capability of 2-14 gallons per minute.
- Complete solution
- Fuelworks provides dedicated support for transfer pumps.
- AB-122 designed entirely for DEF
- May be too expensive for the individual operator
Both the EPA and API (American Petroleum Institute) has produced protocols for the manufacture, handling, and storage of DEF. Both retail and wholesale channels have made it apparent to consumers the effect contamination has on diesel engines. Entire distribution channels, along with thousands of OEM manufacturers have risen in just the last decade to handle DEF.
Best DEF Drum Pump Reviews
DEF drum pumps are the most sought-after DEF transfer pump. Drum pumps are non-stationary and can be utilized for a mixture of various drum sizes. Drum pumps provide the buyer with lots of options. There are plenty of distinct types (rotary or lever) and sizes to satisfy most storage needs.
Titan-CTS is an international chemical transfer company, committed to industrial liquids. Titans leadership has decades of chemical transfer experience. The Titan 902-031-0 is manufactured from polypropylene and stainless steel with Viton seals. Flow rate is 5 gallons per minute with a 5-horsepower motor. Designed for individual operators and low volume diesel shops. Electric source can be outlets or batteries.
- Complete solution with hoses, motor, and nozzle.
- Good support from a respected international company
- Only DEF compatible
- Flow rate may be slow for high-volume shops
What to Consider When Buying a DEF?
Anyone who owns or operates a diesel engine must know how to store and transfer DEF. Here are considerations for purchasing the the best DEF pump in the market.
- Construction materials: DEF is destructive to carbon steel, aluminum, copper, brass, zinc, and other minor metals. Stainless steel is the toughest for DEF pump construction.
- Seals: Viton and Buna seals are the best elastomers for DEF use. Both are excellent rubberized solutions offering good compression and corrosion resistance.
- DEF solutions: DEF distribution channels have proliferated since 2010. There are thousands of equipment options. Buying too much or too little may impact wear and tear, causing additional replacement costs. Consider consumption rates of DEF to diesel at about 2 to 3 percent for on-road heavy-duty vehicles.
- Contamination: Everyone preaches contamination control when handling DEF. Transfer pumps are a significant step and must be looked at carefully. Always consider quality over quantity. Replacement costs for full, dedicated DEF systems can run into the thousands.
Best Ways To Pump Diesel Exhaust Fluid
There are several different ways you can go about pumping diesel exhaust fluid. However, some ways are better than others. Below, we explore the top three most economical ways to pump diesel exhaust fluid:
Using A Hand Pump: You can purchase a pre-made DEF hand pump with customized length of hose, type of nozzle, fittings, etc. These are really handy, portable and easy to use.
Using A Gravity Kit: These kits take into consideration the fact that your tote may be above ground level – even higher than you! Many people store their totes on large cinderblocks or concrete platforms for examples. It’s all about flexibility with these devices.
Using A Tote Manifold Set Up: This is an excellent choice because it allows you to tie in two or more totes so that you can get the job done faster! Make sure you purchase this kit pre-assembled.
While all these devices will normally do the job in most cases, in the end, your choice will be based on your own personal circumstances. Always shop around to find the best option to suit your needs.
Knowing your DEF storage and transfer capacity is essential for diesel operators. There are plenty of choices on the market for every piece of equipment you require. From seals and brass connections to plastic nozzles and high capacity transfer pumps.
Consider distribution needs thoroughly. Purchasing quality equipment for any DEF handling scenario is vital.