Understanding the need for better emissions control while providing maximum performance, Navistar International created the Maxxforce 13 engine. With impressive responsiveness, excellent fuel economy and a smoothly performing engine, the Maxxforce 13 engines had promised to give truckers many happy years on the road. Unfortunately, this was not the case as many problems arose with the EGR which led many truckers to delete the EGR which then led to further problem. In this article, we will focus on Maxxforce 13 EGR delete problems.
The advanced EGR present in the Maxxforce 13 engine has been specially engineered by Navistar to work without the requirement of additional equipment, which means more payload is made available on your machine.
To get the most out of your vehicle, here we present some of the problems detected with Maxxforce 13 EGR and their solutions.
Common Maxxforce 13 EGR Delete Problems
PROBLEM 1: Black Smoke Is Appearing from The Exhaust
The primary job of the EGR is to help reduce nitrogen oxide emissions from the engine. This is done by allowing in the cooled exhaust gas into the air inlet duct to keep temperatures low enough so that nitrous oxide does not form in the first place.
If you are seeing black smoke appearing and have taken this to a mechanic who has stated a possible issue with the EGR valve of your Maxxforce 13 engine, you will need to locate the valve and then clean the EGR cooler. Follow the steps below to complete this.
- Make sure the gasket seals properly by cleaning all the mating surfaces.
- Check the EGR system for any leaks or damage and replace any damaged parts
- Use your truck service manual to locate the valve and check for damages.
- Clean the EGR cooler inlet fins to remove any dirt accumulated there.
These steps should enable the rear EGR cooler adaptor valve to close again without any problems, and cleaning the system will stop the issue of the black smoke appearing.
PROBLEM 2: Low Power Seen From Maxxforce 13 Engine But No Error Codes Display
If you notice that the Maxxforce 13 is suddenly showing reduced power output, but no error code is seen, this indicates a problem with the EGR valve.
The EGR valve will, therefore, need to be located and cleaned with a suitable solvent so that any debris present that is blocking it from closing correctly is removed. Once these steps have been performed, you should see an improvement in the power levels.
You can use the cleaning management system to perform the cleaning of the EGR valve. Here are the steps you will need to follow:
- Station the vehicle within a few meters of a drain so that excess fluids can be drained out.
- Turn the heater pump off.
- Plug the cleaning management system into a 110V socket.
- Fill up the cleaning management system reservoir with 5 gallons of ordinary water, followed by two cans of 2.5 gallons of EGR cleaning solvent.
- Turn the heater on to warm up the cleaning solvent.
- Remove the heat shields and EGR valve by following the processes outlined in your truck’s manual.
- Cleanse the EGR cooler inlet to free it of any debris.
- Take out the bolts that keep the EGR outlet tubes joined to the EGR module cover.
- Replace the gaskets. Wipe away any debris and replace the bolts.
Perform the entire cleaning management system process as mentioned in the guide that comes with the product. Ensure that the cleaning is complete and your truck should perform better than before.
PROBLEM 3: The High Temperature Or Low-Temperature EGR Cooler Is Leaking And Needs To Be Replaced
For the Maxxforce 13 EGR to perform correctly at all times, the EGR cooler assembly needs to be properly aligned. Any problems with this alignment can lead to coolant leakage which will ultimately lead to engine failure.
The EGR cooler alignment tool can be used to put back the EGR cooler assembly once the coolant has been replaced, ensure proper alignment so that there is no leakage.
Perform the steps below to complete this action:
- Remove the EGR cooler assembly from the engine after referring to your truck’s manual.
- Install the EGR cooler assembly onto the EGR cooler alignment tool by placing in a vise and then tightening the vise jaws.
- Remove and replace the washers and socket screws.
- Clean the mating surfaces of the mid plate and the respective high or low-temperature EGR cooler.
- Once the complete process is done, secure the cooler halves once again and remove the cooler assembly from the alignment tool.
PROBLEM 4: EGR Cooler Heat Exchanger Leak Leads To An Excess Pressure
The EGR cooler system is vital to ensure that temperatures within this system remain below a certain temperature, and subsequently a certain pressure level.
If a cooler fails, the pressure build-up can go up as high as 25 psi. This can cause a considerable quantity of coolant to blow out from the radiator, which can be detected by taking a sample of the oil and checking for any coolant traces.
To prevent this problem, the Navistar International coolant tool can be used. This tool greatly simplifies the process of maintaining the complex cooler system of the Maxxforce 13 EGR so that you can give longer life to your engine.
The coolant tool uses adaptors that create a powerful vacuum out of standard air to force the coolant out of the entire system. This then allows for the pressure to be tested and system diagnosed for repairs to be carried out as necessary.
A vacuum module is then introduced so that there is no air trapped in the system. It is through the presence of air that heat can cause the cooling system to suffer damage.
How Navistar Fixed Its Maxxforce 13 EGR Problems
In an attempt t fix the many problems, Navistar made a number of changes to their engines:
- One of the first changes the company made was to hardwire the connection from the turbo air control valve to lessen the likelihood of the connection becoming lose and dislodging.
- They increased the length of the EGR shaft by 30%. This was so that it would be less likely to stick.
- They increased the exhaust valves in the EGR cooler
- Tey removed some shard edges within the device that was damaging some components.
How To Get Your Truck Fixed By Navistar?
Navistar has a Diamond Renewed program wherein they take in used trucks and reconditions them with the improvements to the EGR system.
If your Navistar International MaxxForce truck was built since 2013, then you shouldnt have to worry as Navistar trucks since then should have the fix.
These are some of the common issues that you may have observed your Maxxforce 13 EGR truck. In case of other low power issues or overheating issues that you may see, it is best to replace the EGR. Fortunately, the Maxxforce 13 EGR is not too expensive to replace, and it is the best way to fix any issues that don’t have a distinct error code displaying. Always use a Navistar certified tool to replace or pry open any of the Maxxforce 13 EGR parts so that you can reduce damages to the engine system